Pumpkin and Peanut Curry

I came across Pure Package in one of the red-tops - the company delivers pre-packaged food on a daily basis for those with specific dietary goals (whether it be weight loss, athletes in training, models etc).  I wasn't particularly interested in the service itself (I enjoy cooking far too much for that), but I was definitely interested in the nutritional aspect.  Browsing through their website, I came across the following recipe from their cookbook, which instantly appealed.  I love anything which uses squash, and as I had everything in my pantry (for once), there seemed no time like the present!

Ingredients:
1/2 small pumpkin – peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-size pieces
320g broccoli, cut into small florets
1 tablespoon groundnut oil
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
160g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
600ml coconut milk
juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
250g sugar snap peas
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander

Method:
  • Tip the pumpkin into a non-stick roasting tray and roast in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
  • Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat the groundnut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further 1 minute.
  • Add the curry paste and stir in the mushrooms, coating them in the paste. Stir in the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice and tamari and cook for 2 minutes.
  • Add the blanched broccoli, sugar snap peas and roasted pumpkin to the curry and simmer for 5–8 minutes. Check the seasoning and add more lime juice or tamari if needed.
  • Add the coriander to the curry and stir through just before you are about to serve.

Notes:
  • The sauce was actually pretty rich, much richer than I anticipated.  As a result I had to add another lime before serving...  I'll reduce the initial quantity of peanut butter in future (you can always add some in as you go along)
  • I added a few prawns to my curry, not for any nutritional reason, but because the 11yo likes them!


Pumpkin and Peanut Curry






There are more recipes in the Pure Package Cookbook >