Sweetcorn Fritters

It must be autumn, I'm craving all manner of autumnal veg, from pumpkin to sweetcorn, and every variety of squash and mushroom I can find.  I genuinely think we eat too much meat in our diets, and there is no reason not to have a delicious warm lunch, where the star is the vegetable.

One of my favourites is sweetcorn fritters - but I tend to mix an additional ingredient in, just to add a little variety.  Today's variation was raw orange pepper.  I love raw peppers, but some people find it indigestible, so you could add anything else you fancy.  Crab perhaps? Always delicious. Spring onions? Grated courgettes?

The ingredients for the batter are a bit of a work in progress - I usually eyeball the batter depending on how many people I'm cooking for, and how wet the ingredients are.

Ingredients

1/2 cup of plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
1 egg
About 40ml of buttermilk (or milk)
100g sweetcorn
1 small orange pepper, finely chopped

Method:
  • Chop the pepper finely if using, and remove the sweetcorn from the cob (or tin :0)
  • Pop the dry ingredients into one bowl, and mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl or jug
  • Gradually add enough of the liquid to form a thick batter - do not overwork it
  • Incorporate enough of the batter into the vegetables to just thickly coat it
  • Cook the fritters on a moderate heat, in a little rapeseed oil
  • Like pancakes and drop scones, when the bubbles start to pop through, turn the fritter over
  • Serve with the sauce of your choice - sometimes I have tzatziki, but today it was chill jelly!